This site is privately owned and is not affiliated with any government agency. Learn more here.

Types of Rental Assistance

Can I get assistance if I am renting a home?

There are various programs that can assist you in paying your rent. Section 8 is one of the most popular and widely known programs, but it is not the only one that helps people pay their rent. Tenant based rental assistance programs can also help you pay rent and move into suitable housing. It is important to read the details of each program before applying so that you can access the right assistance for you.

Are there eligibility requirements?

Each program is different. They help you with rent in different ways, but all programs have eligibility requirements. These requirements differ depending on the specific program and depending on the state. For example, Section 8 requires that your income fall within a certain range, while other programs may not weigh your income so heavily. It is important to research the eligibility requirements for specific programs such as income limits, before you begin the application process.

Where can I find rental assistance?

Because there are so many different rental assistance programs, it is important to research them all before deciding which is best for you. Not every housing assistance program is offered in every state, or has the same requirements. For the most accurate representation of what is offered in your area, go to your state’s housing website and search for rental assistance programs. However, some standards for criteria will be applicable regardless of where you live.

What are the types of rental assistance?

There are many different types of rental assistance. The three main types are public housing, vouchers and multifamily subsidized housing. Public housing authorities own and operate public housing limits in the area where they are located. When you move into a public housing unit, the PHA will be your landlord. Vouchers are another form of assistance. Vouchers are used when people want to find housing outside of designated public housing communities. These are also known as tenant-based subsidies. This is because the benefit remains with the tenant, instead of going to the housing development like with public housing. In some cases, the rental assistance could be issued for the housing development, but in all cases, the tenant is allowed to move with the money granted. Another form of rental assistance is multifamily subsidized housing. These housing units are owned by a private landlord. In some cases, a corporation may own them. The landlord or corporation will have received a subsidy from the government, allowing them to rent out their units at affordable rates. This type of assistance is also known as a project-based subsidy. This is because the money remains with the housing development and not any specific tenant. In many cases, these apartments are in the same areas and developments as normal market dwellings.

Tenant based rental assistance programs

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development sponsors the Tenant Based Rental Assistance program, which is also known as TBRA. This program varies from state to state, so it is important that you check the specifics of the program in your state. This program helps participants pay their rent and utility bills, as well as paying security deposits for both rent and utilities. The program also offers counseling to people who need rental advice. Case managers also offer long-term self-sufficiency through this program from the area’s public housing agency to people with low incomes. The subsidies given through this program are allocated at a local level. The non-profits that oversee these programs can choose some of what they offer. They can also choose their eligibility requirements and their own specifics as far as the amount and type of assistance that they offer. In some cases, these non-profits can even determine if they want to offer rental assistance, homebuyer assistance, self-sufficiency programs or help a specific population. Some agencies also offer anti-eviction programs, as well as displacement assistance, homeless prevention and security deposit assistance.

If you qualify for Tenant Based Rental Assistance, then you can have the assistance paid to you in a grant or financial assistance. Payments will be given directly to the landlord to help you with your rent costs. The exact subsidy amount will be determined on a case-by-case basis. In most cases, the payment is the difference between 30 percent of your adjusted total income and the payment standard in the area. Note that only the tenant can apply for this assistance, so if you are not the tenant, you may not apply. This assistance can be received in addition to other forms of rental assistance. Therefore, you may still apply for other rental assistance programs.

Understanding the Housing Choice Voucher Program

The Housing Choice Voucher Program, formally known as Section 8, is a widely used tenant based rental assistance program. This program helps low-income families, as well as the elderly and disabled afford to live in safe, suitable and sanitary housing. If you use this program, you are required to find your own housing. When doing this, you must make sure that the housing meets the criteria set forth by the public housing authority in your area. This home may be a single-family home, apartment or townhouse.

When searching for a house through this program, you must make sure that the owner of the dwelling or landlord is willing to be paid through the Housing Choice Voucher program. If there is a difference in the amount that the PHA decides to give you and the total cost of rent, then you and your family will be responsible for paying that difference. The rental unit that you choose must meet the PHA’s standards of health and safety, as well. In certain instances, you may be allowed to use the voucher to buy a small home.

In order to be eligible for this program, your income must not exceed the PHA’s set standard. Generally, this means that you or your family’s income cannot be more than 50 percent of the median income of the area in which you wish to move. The PHA must give 75 percent of their vouchers to families or individuals whose incomes are not more than 30 percent of the median income in the area. To find out what the median income in your area is, you can check the HUD website.

Close Bitnami banner